This is what my fun blasian family looks like
This is my expanding FUN Blasian family. Our newest member - Jaiden is 6 weeks old and slowly learning how to sleep longer than 2 hour shifts. I was born in Nigeria and my wife was born in China, we both moved to Canada for school/university and this is where the capture the flag happened if you get my drift.
Multicultural homes can be interesting and maybe even hard and tenuous work. Families have to learn to get along but in our case where they don't even speak the same language that can be like i said earlier 'interesting'.
However, since our marriage was about us and our cultures we tried to express our fun personalities and beautiful differences almost every step of the way. Here are 5 ideas you can try at your interracial wedding/Blasian wedding...
1. Begin with something cultural - respecting the cultural practices
2. Make sure you enjoy the cultural attires possibilities - cultural weddings are famous for being very colorful. We had the bridesmaids in Chinese qipao (attires) for the tea ceremony
First we had a Tea Ceremony in the morning:
The morning started off with the Chinese customary tea ceremony. this is where we honor our parents by serving them tea on our knees and they give us their blessing with words and a red envelope which usually contains some $$ mullah.
Then there was the wedding ceremony which was done Western style
3. Slow dancing? Nah! Do a traditional dance instead. I had to teach my wedding party some dance steps - You try teaching Mennonites to dance! They did great! haha...
4. Play traditional/cultural games at the reception
5. Have you ever tried having a photo booth at your reception. Our guests had FUN with it.
That was a long wedding day - started with Chinese tea ceremony and then we took some nice pictures at the beautiful Legislative Building, then moved on to the church for our wedding ceremony, then took more pictures in between and then reception at the Radisson Hotel, Downtown Winnipeg.
We changed attires again during the reception.
Look out for future posts on the creative ways we announced our first blasian baby and now second one. haha!
Are you doing anything uniquely fun for your wedding? Or have you witnessed some fun wedding traditions? Do Share!
Wedding photographers: ftproduction - Kelvin Ho and team